Headphone cable repair, KSC-75

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Sir Galahad
Lurker

Headphone cable repair, KSC-75

Postby Sir Galahad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am

Hi folks, I'm after some advice as I'm having trouble repairing my headphones, in this case KSC-75, re-soldering the wires back onto the right earphone.

Background: As seems to be the case with most headphone failures, the audio has cut out from one of the headphones. I discovered a bit of a push of the cable into the speaker restores the sound, which I assume means the wires are broken inside. Here's what I'm doing to try to resolder the wires back on, but it's not working and I'm open to suggestion:

1. Cut the wire back to what I assume to be 'good unbroken wire' <-- this might actually be the issue, I don't know
2. Strip the wire
3. Use a lighter to remove the coloured coating on the wires
4. Use fingernail to gently remove any 'black' from the heat/burn process
5. Solder.

Unfortunately, at no time am I getting any audio back. Is there another way I can test to see if the wires are actually transmitting any current prior to soldering? Or should I be doing things differently?

Sir Galahad
Lurker

Re: Headphone cable repair, KSC-75

Postby Sir Galahad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 am

I should add I removed existing solder first.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry I can't answer your query - but I can say that Koss offer a lifetime warranty that MAY have covered your KSC75...
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Postby dingostolemyipod » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm

You may have damaged the lead-out wire (super-thin wire coming from the voice coil of the driver) while doing your re-solder job.
With a lot of headphone drivers, the solder pad on the driver isn't just for connecting the headphone cable, but for connecting the headphone cable to the voice coil, both 'wires' on the same solder pad, in which case you need to be super careful. Others will have a small section of circuit board, with 2 separate connections.
a girl cannot tell a man when exactly he must do a thing

Sir Galahad
Lurker

Postby Sir Galahad » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks guys - I think you're both likely correct! While I was careful, if it's that delicate, it's entirely possible. I'll keep the other half as a spare and buy a new pair and keep that warranty in mind.

I actually bought them in the states, I don't have the receipt, so I figured warranty would be difficult. i didn't know it was lifetime, though. Thanks for the info, I think I might be wasting my time continuing with these so I'll buy another pair.

Return to “Headphones etc”