Our top picks. (Help me pick the best headphones!)

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Marcus
I Recommend It!

Re: Our top picks. (Help me pick the best headphones!)

Postby Marcus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 pm

m0n4g3 wrote:@Marcus

I purchased a set of hifiman HE-400's eons ago, and unfortunately the plastics that hold the cans to the headband have broken. After being screwed around with Hifiman support on getting replacement parts (they allow you to ship the cans to them to get replaced but will not allow you to buy parts), i've decided to start looking into new cans.

What sort of cans would be a reasonable replacement to the HE-400's? I'm happy to spend up to $1000 i suppose on a new set.

What kind of sound are you after? The HE400 are pretty solid/bassy, higher end ones tend to trim the fat in that area :)

SpaceBoy wrote:Hi all, wanting to know what the best headphones for me and my tastes :) I have the options of: M50X, M70X, ATH-MSR7, ATH-A990z, ATH-DSR7BT, ATH-ANC9. I listen to a lot of rockier music (lots of Tool), house and hip hop. So performance through the ranges would be nice. I'm currently using some Bose SoundTrue's, and would like an upgrade from them.

I'm mainly using them with an iPhone 7+, so the wireless option of the ATH-DSR7BT or ATH-ANC9, the difference is price between them is 300ish dollars, is it worth getting the DSR7BT's? or would one of the wired options perform better overall for my style of music. I don't care about noise cancellation, price, or anything except the best possible overall performance of the cans. Thanks!:)

Does it have to be an AT model? The ones you've listed are all pretty different sounding and there are some real "why bother?" models in there (eg: ANC9).
The M50X has the most V shaped response curve, the M70X is tighter but if you like the M50X it doesn't guarantee you'll like the 70. The MSR7 are clean and clinical sounding, the 990Z are their current hifi fullsize which are nicely balanced sounding, but not as bassy as something like the M50X. The DSR7BT you're paying a chunk of the cost for the BT in it, so unless that's a must I'd suggest spending the money elsewhere.
Other options: Beyer DT250 or Custom One Pro, although the 250 works better with a small amp.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

achua05
Lurker

Postby achua05 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

Hi there,

I bought a Etymotic ER-4P from you guys a few years ago but unfortunately snapped my cable on the car door (silly me...)

I'm looking for a replacement and found it's not longer stocked so was wondering if there were any recommendations on a replacement?

I loved the clarity of the sound (particularly for classical/instrumental tracks) and the noise isolation (perfect for plane rides!) so would be good if it can tick those boxes. Budget is $300-400 but flexible for the right product.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 pm

If you can stretch the budget I'd highly recommend the Earsonics SM64 - fantastic sounding and compatible with your Etymotic tips :)
Alternately the new RockJaw Resonate are pretty nice for the price!
Headphonic

bearbear2004
Lurker

Postby bearbear2004 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi there,
I'm just a beginner to this area, already spent a bit of times for research about headphones.
I'm currently looking for a new headphone for gaming/movie/versatile use, mainly for gaming(FPS like: PUBG)
There are few headphones I'm considering after the research: DT880 250ohm, DT990 250ohm, DT250.

I have no amp/dac at this moment, but I will get one in next few months if i get the DT880 or DT990.
Should I get the DT880/DT990 first and use it without amp/dac for few months, or just get the DT250 and push it directly from my onboard soundcard which got an 600ohm amp for headphone?

Which one should I pick between DT880 and DT990, one is semi open one is open, dose it make any big different about the soundstage?
I know you highly recommended DT250, but I don't know much about this headphone and a bit more prefer the looking of DT880 n DT990, can this headphone perform the similar soundstage like the other two?

sorry for so many questions. I know that will be better to find a demo to try all these headphone, but its hard for me to find a physical store which got these demo headphone to try on around my area.
Thank you so much.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

First up - if your main use is gaming you won't find much difference in quality between the models. It will primarily be music listening that the differences will become most apparent, plus I tend to recommend headphones based on the style(s) of music being listened to because that's where the differences really become noticeable :)

If you're going to be running the headphones from onboard sound it will be an immediate and fairly serious bottleneck for the 250ohm Beyers. In fact running something like an 880 or 990 from onboard sound is probably going to give you the performance of ~$150 headphones.

Other things to keep in mind are that adding amplification creates a false economy ($300 headphones + $300 amp = $600 cost with $300 performance). Headphones that require amplification do not sound better than headphones that do need amplification and cheap amplification isn't going to match well with power hungry models like the 880/990, so you'll need to set aside at least ~$300+ for something that matches well with them.

As far as the individual headphones go - the DT250 are a great allrounder but if you're not listening to a lot of music and you don't need the isolation, an open model is going to be better suited.
Between the 880 and 990 I'd probably lean toward the DT880, however for less than the DT880 you could get the Audio Technica AD900X which have a similar sound signature, lower cost and lower power requirements so you could run them either off a cheap dedicated soundcard (~$50) or entry level amp/DAC (<$200).

Another option would be a model like the Beyer Custom One Pro. These have good soundstage for a closed models and are very efficient, plus you'll probably like them more for movies than something like the DT880 :)
Headphonic

bearbear2004
Lurker

Postby bearbear2004 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you for helping.
I think I will just go with AD900x now.
Which entry level amp/DAC i should run it?

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 pm

I'd start off with onboard sound and see how it sounds.
In many cases these days onboard sound in decent quality laptops and desktops is actually pretty good.
On the other hand, in some cases it's really quite terrible and you'll immediately hear things like hiss/static, HDD access sounds and other horrible stuff.
If you have a desktop computer there are ~$50 soundcards that would be an immediate upgrade from poor quality onboard sound.
Alternately if you want something external we've got an iBasso D-Zero in our bargain selection that would be a great starting point along with an Audioquest Dragonfly.
From there I'd probably go a basic Fiio option.

If you're REALLY keen or intend to consider high end/high impedance headphones later I'd probably jump the budget up significantly but it's not something I'd recommend for a starting setup :)

As a reference point - when the original AD900 was released I considered it a good, efficient alternative to the Beyer DT880 or Sennheiser HD650 - so for nearly half the price and with none of the amp requirements it's a steal.
Headphonic

yelfer
Lurker

Postby yelfer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi

I am looking for a recommendation of a balanced sounding, durable closed over ear headphone with a detachable/replaceable cord at around $200. I have a very hard head (8-8.5 hat size).

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 am

How about something like the Koss ProDJ200? Despite being a DJ headphone I find their sound signature to be fairly balanced and accurate rather than having the traditional DJ V response (like the Audio Technica M50).
Up from there I'd suggest the Audio Technica MSR7.
Headphonic

Return to “Headphones etc”