Help me upgrade from beyerdynamic DT235

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Dabbler
Lurker

Help me upgrade from beyerdynamic DT235

Postby Dabbler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi all,

I’ve come here to ask for some opinions on a good upgrade from the DT235

I love this headphone. It’s got a nice airy (but still focussed), euphonic (to me) and balanced sound with pretty good soundstage and imaging.

I listen to mostly EDM, ambient and progressive rock.

I’m wondering if there is something else similar, open or closed that I could try, just for fun – perhaps even “better”?

Looking at maybe sennheiser HD600 with an OTL amp? Or Q701?

I’ve tried AD700x and thought they were nice but a bit too forward, bass light and unfocussed imaging.

And the DT880 wasn’t really my cup of tea, sounding just a touch too clinical for my liking.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Re: Help me upgrade from beyerdynamic DT235

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

I definitely, absolutely wouldn't recommend the Q701.
The HD600 might be a decent choice but I'd pair them with a good solid state amp as they're quite warm sounding and not especially energetic. Keep in mind however for the price of the HD600 and an amp you could just get a higher end, but more efficient, headphone such as the Beyer T90.

The Beyer DT250 would be well worth considering, they have a very musical sound with good soundstage for a closed headphone.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Dabbler
Lurker

Postby Dabbler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks Marcus,

I might look into the DT250 - musicality is what I’m after. Do they have a more forward midrange sound than the DT 235?

Is the HD600 significantly less energetic than the DT235 or is the difference subtle? I have quite a few DIY amps I’d like to experiment with and have heard these headphones change character quite a bit depending on amplification. It’s all part of the fun I guess.

Cheers

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm

The DT250 definitely has nicer midrange than the DT235. Actually the 250 is pretty well balanced all the way up to top end treble which is slightly rolled off so you can listen to them for hours without getting any listening fatigue.

The main issue I have with the HD600 is that for rock I find them unengaging, they give a strangely distant presentation that tends to suck some of the energy out which bugs me as I -like- the HD600 but every time I listen to a pair I find myself wanting to listen to something else :(

If you have an amp the 250ohm DT250 is a killer headphone for the price.
Headphonic

iOSBrett
Lurker

Postby iOSBrett » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 am

I have owned the DT250s for 13 months and the treated them with kid gloves, they stay on my desk when not it use and are never treated with disrespect.

The cable has just broken internally and I believe this is a design flaw, this has also happened to a friend of mine (another forum member). In my opinion the cable supplied with the DT250s are too heavy for the plug ends. Mine has broken at the plug end and my friends at the headphone end. To replace this cable is $90 + shipping, that is 1/3 the cost of the headphones. If I have to replace the cable every 12 months or so then I will be VERY disappointed. I only know 2 people with these headphones and both of us have experienced this issue.

I love these headphones but would not buy them again or recommend them to anyone.

Brett

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:28 am

I've had a pair for 13 years and the cable is still going strong.
We've sold several hundred pairs and it's rare to see them back with cable issues, however it does happen.
I would estimate we have seen less than 1% back with cable faults which is pretty excellent.

We see cables issues with every make of every model of headphone, be they replaceable or fixed cables. It's just something that happens.

Beyer have a 2 year warranty on their headphones so your cable issue will be covered under warranty.
Headphonic

Lurker
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi I bought my DT250-80s in 2007. I have only last year bought a stand for them and a carry case for when I travel. I haven't really taken great care of them. Most of their life has been spent on a desk or on the floor under my bed. I use them at least once every few days and took them to Europe for 6 weeks jammed in a suitcase. For all but 1 year the cable has been pushed into the socket on the left cup without the supplied holding screw (I lost it).
Never once have the headphones not worked perfectly. The plug still fits snug even without the screw installed. I have cleaned the pads of dust and hair maybe 5 or so times in their life.
I love the sound. I have a set of AD900s as well but the DT250s are definitely my go to headphone, especially when listening via the DX50 player.
I am astounded by the build quality. I honestly believe I will be using these headphones for twice as long as I have owned them.
It is easy to recommend them.

Hope this helps

Quokka
Enthusiast

Postby Quokka » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Marcus wrote:Actually the 250 is pretty well balanced all the way up to top end treble which is slightly rolled off so you can listen to them for hours without getting any listening fatigue.
If you have an amp the 250ohm DT250 is a killer headphone for the price.

Absolutely recommend upgrading to the DT250-250ohm providing you have an amp similar to the O2. It isn't rolled off in the treble compared to the DT250-80ohm and is probably the most neutral, best balanced headphone I have heard. Definitely a killer headphone at any price!
H-Phones: HD650,HD25II,MS-Pro,ESW10,DT250,Beyer T1
DACs: ODAC, Audiolab M-Dac, Ibasso DX90
Amps: JDLabs O2, RSA P-51, Talisman T-3H

iOSBrett
Lurker

Postby iOSBrett » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 pm

So after complaining about the cable on the DT250s I wanted to say that I received fantastic support from Hills. They are the company in NSW who covers the warranty on these for headphones.com.au.
I got a replacement cable from them today, even though Aus Post managed to lose my faulty cable before it got to them.

However I stand by my earlier statement that there is a design fault in the cable thay originally came with the DT250s, they are way too heavy to support their own weight. Funnily enough the replacement cable is easily half the weight of the one that came with the DT250s. This one doesn't try to pull my Macbook pro or my iPhone off the desk. I have much more confidence in this cable lasting the 10 or more years that others are seeing.

Cheers,
Brett

iOSBrett
Lurker

Postby iOSBrett » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm

And now the second cable has the same fault, at least this one lasted twice as long as the last one.

I love the sound of these headphones, but I won't be buying Beyerdynamic again. Looking through the forums I see issues with their cables dating back to 2013. I think I would be less annoyed if they weren't taking advantage of this problem by selling replacement cables at a third the cost of the headphones.

At least I get the fun of headphone shopping again.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

Every model of every brand will eventually have cable issues - it's not just Beyer. Plus the number we get back with cable issues is pretty low, it just happens to be the weakest part :)
Some brands are worse in that the socket where the cable plugs in becomes the problem, so you can't even replace the replaceable cable without having the headphones repaired first.

My pair of DT250 are still going strong after 15 years with no cable issues.
Headphonic

iOSBrett
Lurker

Postby iOSBrett » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:24 pm

So I bought these on the recommendation of a friend after he bought a pair. He had to replace his cable in the past, I have to replace mine for the second time. There is clearly something wrong with the quality of Beyer Dynamic cables. I even found a post by you on this board from 2013 stating this.

I don't have a problem with headphones.com.au, but I do have a problem with the quality of these cables and I think people should know about it when making purchasing decisions.

Just because your own headphones haven't broken doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 am

I understand :)
I'm sorry you've had a bad run, it's just super unusual. Checking actual figures, I've sold about a thousand pairs of DT250.
There was a bad batch of Custom One Pro cables, which is a completely different model, but that issue has since been addressed and we just gave free replacement cables to anyone who had a fault. A few people had unlucky runs (because it took a while for batches of cables to filter through) but it's not something I'm concerned about any more. This isn't "a problem with Beyer cables" in general.

I get where you're coming from, I'm just saying it's not a normal experience with Beyer equipment :)
Maybe we can convince Beyer to drop the price of the replacement cable either way - after all the price of the headphones has dropped...
Headphonic

Return to “Headphones etc”