Our top picks. (Help me pick the best headphones!)

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Tropod
Lurker

Re: Our top picks. (Help me pick the best headphones!)

Postby Tropod » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the info! Good to know the ADG1X has the better internals of the AD900X (though have they been updated as the impedence is 42 ohms vs 38?), as from what I hear the build quality/way it rests on one's head is better than thw AD900X? Hopefully if I went with it then I wouldn't need that crazy rubber band fix either. :p

Just one other thing, never had a amp on my AD700, always just straight from onboard sound, but is there a genuine/notable benefit with the AD900X/ADG1X if running via an amp?

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 am

Impedance doesn't really equate to performance, it's just the resistance - a slightly higher impedance doesn't mean much on its own, but with a slightly higher efficiency it means they will be slightly easier to drive. It's not something I'd bother caring about unless the efficiency is low (<96dB) and the impedance is high (>90ohms).

There's not going to be much benefit from an amp, but a better DAC stage such as a decent dedicated soundcard (even a decent ~$50 one) should give you a performance boost if your onboard sound isn't very good. The main problem with onboard is that the quality varies from really awful to around that of a ~$200 external DAC/amp.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to

Dawico
Lurker

Postby Dawico » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey Marcus,

A bunch of years ago I bought some hifiman he400's which sound great but were never very comfortable (pretty heavy). They are still ticking along however I wanted to get a new set for computer use (gaming, movies, music). The main info I'm after is what would be a good set of headphones for long wearing comfort on someone who has a big head (as in finding hats that fit is basically impossible big). A friend has a pair of the Audio-Technica M50's which I've tried on and they fit and are comfortable however I've read some posts saying the newer gen m50x's aren't as comfortable. The other pair I'm looking at is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus as Beyer was known for their comfort etc back in the day. Any advice would be great and thanks in advance.

Also was wondering if you still have a store you can come in and try the headphones on at? There was one back when I brought the he400's from you but I can't see an address on the website anymore so figured I'd ask.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm

I wouldn't say there's much difference between the M50 and M50X in terms of comfort, they're very similar. However models like the AD700/AD700X or AD900/AD900X are quite different in terms of fit.

I'd say the Custom One Pro would be ideal for your needs - they will sound similar enough to what you're used to for it not to be a shock, and different enough for you to enjoy a different sound.

Unfortunately we no longer have a retail premises - we're all online now :)
Headphonic
Don't forget to

SamR
Lurker

Postby SamR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi Marcus,
I have come in search of a replacement for my Audiofly AF78s which I purchased from you a bit over 5 years ago. I've loved my AF78s - very happy with the way they sound, and isolate outside noises with the Comply foam tips. They're still working, but only if I hold the cable in the right position...
The only complaint I have had with them is the cable, as I found it gets permanent bends/kinks in it, just from putting it in the supplied carry case (which I stopped using not long after due to this reason), and in a larger carry case that I started using instead. And the cable failures have occurred at these bends/kinks. I haven't had this happen with any other headphones. Is this why you've stopped stocking them?
Anyhow, I've had a look at what's available for a similar price and found the Rock Jaw Audio Resonates.
- How do they sound compared to the AF78s?
- I see that they have a detachable/replaceable cable - do you know if the cable is more robust/better than what's on the AF78s?
- I still have some Comply foam tips left that I haven't used on my AF78s - will these also fit the Resonates?

Cheers,
Sam

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Hey Sam,

To be honest I don't think any brand of IEMs I've sold has ever been perfect - cable issues are the most common thing that goes wrong, no matter how much effort manufacturers put into making the cable more robust. The AF78 wasn't especially bad with cable problems (pretty standard numbers), but you're not alone with the issue you've described (keeping in mind I believe AF offered a 5 year warranty on the 78, so you might still be covered).

In regards to your other questions - the resonate sounds far more accurate/balanced/detailed than the AF78. I would say the 78 is better suited to contemporary/pop listening, whereas the Resonate is more hifi - I wouldn't recommend them as quickly for bass heavy (eg: hiphop/dance etc) music if you're a fan of bottom-end impact. OTOH I think the Resonate sound pretty great if you're not a bass-head (which I can be some days). I actually use the Alfa Genus myself - usually when studying, but that's because I listen to ambient electronic stuff when reading and contemporary/rock/energetic stuff when writing.

I haven't been selling the Resonate for as long as the AF78 has been around, but so far we haven't had any issues with the cable that I'm aware of. This could change over time, but I think it's been nearly a year so far so that's pretty good :thumbup:

Your current Comply tips won't fit the Resonate - I believe the 78 uses 500 series tips, but I think the Resonate uses 200 or 400 series so the inner barrel of the 78 tips will be too large and they'll fall off.
Headphonic
Don't forget to

coderwong
Lurker

Postby coderwong » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I have the ATH-AD900X and while gaming, I can still hear people conversation. Quite annoyed. Good comfort headphones though.

Is there any other headphones that are better than ATH-AD900X and not open back?
Was looking at HD800S but don't think it's good for gaming. I use it for Gaming and Music as well.

Any recommendation? Budget is not an issue if the right headphone comes along..
Thanks,

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Any open headphones are going to generally be better for games and movies but they won't block much, if any, outside noise.
For games only I doubt you'll notice any improvement going from the AD900X to a higher end model, but for music you should.
My recommendation would depend on the type of music you're going to be listening to. The HD800S are great for classical/acoustic, but perhaps not so well suited to contemporary listening. You'll also need a back end to make higher end headphones worthwhile, which will create a false economy.

In other words - prepare to buy a $2000 pair of headphones and a $1000 DAC/amp to back it up only to prefer your AD900X ;)
Headphonic
Don't forget to

SamR
Lurker

Postby SamR » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Ok - the other option that might suit is the new ATH-LS70IS - they're a little richer sounding than the Resonate so you might find that preferable for the contemporary listening :)
Headphonic
Don't forget to

SamR
Lurker

Postby SamR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Excellent, thanks Marcus! I'll give the ATH-LS70IS a try. As an added bonus, it looks like they use the same size Comply foam tips as my AF78s :cool:

Return to “Headphones etc”