Multiple Headphones Surround Sound from Amp

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.

Multiple Headphones Surround Sound from Amp

Postby PisceanDreamer » Sat May 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi,

The scenario,

Denon AVR-3806
Sennheiser PX200
Sennheiser PX100

Currently (and I expect for the next few years :)) my wife and I watch movies with the two headphones above plugged in via a 3.5mm Y, an extension cable, and then into another 3.5 > 1/4 Headphone into the Denon's front headphone socket, which is behind us.

A week or so ago I accidentally tripped on the cable which only damanged the adapter plug. I had an old Sony adapter which we are now using but isn't quite the right fit and so part of one channel (voice) cuts out and you have to "re-adjust" it. While I really only need to replace the adapter, it started me thinking about all the things I don't like with the current setup. This is mainly that the cords are for ever getting in the way or being pulled, and the extension cable makes them heavy (again causing them to become disconnected), along with the "loss" of my 5.1 (I don't use 7.1 even though I can) soundstage. The other problem is that when I have friends over we either have to turn the sound right down or only 2 people get to hear what's going on.

At first I started looking into Wireless, with the Astra A40 (even though I'm not really looking for a "gaming" headset), Turtle Beach PX5 (I did like the idea of being able to pair it to the phones at the same time and sounds kinda cool being able to take a call without interruption so to speak), Sennheiser RS170-180, etc.

Then I started reading far too much and have now ended up here asking for advice :)

I'm really open to any suggestions, even left fields, as I think it can only help. After all, the worst case would be that nothing changes (apart from spending a few $ on a new adapter) and we continue with what we have.

I should also point out that neither of us wear the headphones over our ears, and then generally just sit slightly in front. The wife likes to hear if the youngest needs attention, and i like it to be cool and have air around my ears (if that makes sense).

So the basic criteria (and how do I actually hook it up to work) is

Multiple Headphones (2-4, possibly 6 (rare)). Would also like this to be modular, ie buy 2 now, 2 later.
    Cordless or something that feels that way and doesn't get in the way, etc
    "Connected" to the Denon and provide sound only to the headphones (ie muted speakers).
    Surround Sound. I'm assuming that since the headphone socket is stereo only (the LED's certainly switch to showing L/R only) we would have to do this via Zone 2??. Or am I completely up the wrong path here.
    Cost per headphone to be under $450ea, with a preference of under $300ea.

Thanks in advance.
PisceanDreamer
Lurker

Re: Multiple Headphones Surround Sound from Amp

Postby Marcus » Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 am

Any of the Sennheiser wireless models can run multiple headset units :)
You can either hook them up to an RCA lineout on your receiver, or the headphone out.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9388 6333
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!
Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Felix » Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 pm

I spoke to our Senn rep recently and he said the RS110 cannot run multiple sets, iirc
Anything up from there can though
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9388 6333
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!
Felix
Headphonic

Postby PisceanDreamer » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Marcus wrote:Any of the Sennheiser wireless models can run multiple headset units :)
You can either hook them up to an RCA lineout on your receiver, or the headphone out.

Thx Marcus,

How much quality and comfort would I be sacrificing in going with the Sennheiser's compared to what seems everyone's favourite here, the AD900?

I'm guessing the RCA lineout is stereo and not taking the discreet outputs and then "re-mixing". Is this how all of them work? I'm still not sure how this could be set up with the lineouts and mute the speakers. I don't think there is a common/shared RCA out for the different inputs either.

I had another look today at the headphone socket on the receiver and I now think I damaged the socket at the same time as the adaptor, which makes me think that option may not be available now.
PisceanDreamer
Lurker

Return to Headphones etc