Audio Upgrades + Headphones Advice

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
mewse
Regular

Re: Audio Upgrades + Headphones Advice

Post by mewse » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:29 am

I agree with G-rig; stick with the comfy pads. They're (unsurprisingly) more comfortable than the bowl pads, and having tried both types of pads, I agree that (in my opinion) the MS-1 sounds better with comfies than with bowls. Also, they're the pads that come with the headphones, so they're the inexpensive option, too; bonus!

Though after a year or so of using MS-1s at work, I ended up buying a set of closed headphones for use at work; not in order to minimise my own sound leakage, but rather, to insulate me from my co-workers' sound leakage. Open headphones and high volume levels are apparently quite popular amongst some of my co-workers. Headachey-making.

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:37 am

Just as some balance... ;-)

I personally count the bowl pads as an essential upgrade. I think they *dramatically* improve the sound and I personally find them more comfortable, overall. I don't like the way the comfies touch your whole ear, even though they are much softer.

Ben
MS-Pro, DT880, DT531, DT250, MS-1, A31s
Behringer UCA202 -> Octavart O1
Nexus 4

http://benrhughes.com

mewse
Regular

Post by mewse » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 am

Interesting! If you do decide to try the bowl pads, it's worth spending a few minutes vigorously crushing them between your hands before putting them on the MS-1s; when they're new, they tend to be very stiff and scratchy and uncomfortable, unlike the softer foam used on the comfies.

Crushing the bowl pads makes them much less stiff, and more comfortable to wear. I also found that soaking them in slightly soapy water for a few minutes (and then giving them 24 hours to dry out again) made them much less harsh on the ears as well.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

Yeah, always crush bowl pads, it makes them way more comfortable :)
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

G-rig
g-rev

Post by G-rig » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:16 am

Like I said, bowls with the ms-1 doesn't sound right. Sure there is more detail but the bass is lacking and the overall sound is too bright. Ymmv.
Sources: Foobar/FLAC, DACMagic
Amps: Matrix M-Stage, Corda 2Move
Headphones: DT250, Sennheiser HD25-II, MS-1
Yamaha HS80M

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:19 am

What about MS-1 with the Senn HD 414 inverse ear pad "mod"? Anyone tried this?

Was hoping to look at more comfort than an improve in sound quality. For some reason, the ear pads don't sit on my ears properly and it feels weird. I blame the dodgy stick that comes out of the ear cup's arm, but I might be getting a replacement headband from Headphonic soon :D

Drubbing
Lost Cause

Post by Drubbing » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am

kelvinyap9 wrote:What about MS-1 with the Senn HD 414 inverse ear pad "mod"? Anyone tried this?

Was hoping to look at more comfort than an improve in sound quality. For some reason, the ear pads don't sit on my ears properly and it feels weird. I blame the dodgy stick that comes out of the ear cup's arm, but I might be getting a replacement headband from Headphonic soon :D
Yep. Head-fi crock o shit IMO. Buy the 414 and just use as is. They're firmer and less spongy than the comfies.
These aren't the memes you're looking for

G-rig
g-rev

Post by G-rig » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:27 am

Yeah all those inverse reversed coin mods and inside outs are wishful thinking if you are bored with
Sources: Foobar/FLAC, DACMagic
Amps: Matrix M-Stage, Corda 2Move
Headphones: DT250, Sennheiser HD25-II, MS-1
Yamaha HS80M

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 am

I've fiddled with MS1s and my MSPros a great deal, but honestly - comfy pads on the MS1 and crushed bowls on the Pro make me happy.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:34 am

Drubbing wrote:
Yep. Head-fi crock o shit IMO. Buy the 414 and just use as is. They're firmer and less spongy than the comfies.
Oh, in that case, no thanks :S

Firmer and less spongy is NOT what I'm looking for x)

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm

G-rig wrote:Like I said, bowls with the ms-1 doesn't sound right. Sure there is more detail but the bass is lacking and the overall sound is too bright. Ymmv.
"Right" is obviously subjective :-) They sound more like the MS-Pro, and to me that can only be a good thing.

Ben
Last edited by Belial on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus 4

chewybacca
Lurker

Post by chewybacca » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Just received my MS-1s today. Question though - do you think burn-in is necessary for this model? It seems the sound's a little tinny from the get-go, or is this expected after only 30min of use?

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 am

Burn-in is (basically) a myth. It takes time for your ears/brain to adjust to new headphones though. Use them for a day (or a week) and you'll be "burnt in".

That said, the Alessandros are relatively bass-light and forward-mids, so they can be perceived as somewhat tinny. Once you adjust you'll probably love it though (I do).

Ben
Nexus 4

Drubbing
Lost Cause

Post by Drubbing » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 am

No, that's how they sound. If you've been used to bloaty bass and mids from low end Senn's, this is what good sound reproduction sounds like.

You onboard sound might be more ordinary than you think, sometimes portable players are better.
These aren't the memes you're looking for

chewybacca
Lurker

Post by chewybacca » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:35 am

Drubbing wrote:You onboard sound might be more ordinary than you think, sometimes portable players are better.
I've bought the Xonar Essence STX. But yeah, I might try my iPod and see how it sounds like.