MS1 Replacements

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Cool Barn
Lurker

MS1 Replacements

Post by Cool Barn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Well my MS1s have started to fail after almost 2 and a half years. The sound will occasionally cut out in the left ear. I think the problem is where the 3.5mm pin plugs into the headphone jack, because if I take them out of my receiver and remove and reinsert the plug into the jack it generally solves the problem. Unfortunately I don't have the capabilities to repair them.

I did enjoy the MS1s, but am looking forward to something even better. My setup is Asus Xonar Essence ST to a Pioneer VSX-920 receiver (on to bookshelves and subwoofer), occasionally using headphones for both music and gaming. My criteria are as follows:

1 - Durable. I've had A900s and the MS1s die on me after only a couple of years, so I would prefer some phones that are going to last quite a while longer than that. I have a set of AKG K530s that are still going strong after 3 and a half years, so am after something similarly tough.

2 - Comfortable. Goes without saying.

3 - Great sound. I do prefer decent bass, but accurate and punchy rather than muddy, overbearing, or doof doof. I generally play a mix of rock/funk (say Chili Peppers for example) to lightweight 80s pop. No dance music, death metal, or classical :D

My budget at this stage is probably a max of $300 or so. I know the AD900s are probably the standout choice, but I'm concerned over the lighter bass and durability of them. I really like the look of the AKG K242HDs to be honest, and so wonder what you guys think about that? Or is there something else that meet the above criteria that I should be looking at? I don't care whether they're open or closed.

Cheers, look forward to hearing your thoughts / opinions :)

jaz
Regular

Re: MS1 Replacements

Post by jaz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:39 pm

If your able to stretch your budget a bit you can grab the DT250's, they have more bass than the AD900 and are very durable even though its made from hard plastic.

Drubbing
Lost Cause

Post by Drubbing » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:47 pm

DT250 - they don't look like rock stars but they perform like them. If you manage to kill those, then you're a headphone serial killer of some sort and should stick to speakers. They'll also help make up a bit for the generally awful mastering on RHCP albums involving Rick Bloody Rubin.
These aren't the memes you're looking for

Riverback
Post-a-holic

Post by Riverback » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 pm

So far, the only reported death of a DT250 in this forum is 'mauled by dog'.
Cowon J3 -> Vsonic R02ProII | B2 | T50P
DACMagic -> Matrix M-stage -> DT250 | AD900 | MS-1 | A2

flognuts
Enthusiast

Post by flognuts » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:54 pm

lol @ the last 2 posts.

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 am

DT250 are certainly durable and sound great. However, being closed (and beyers) they sound a lot different to the MS-1, so be prepared for that.

They're not super-crazy comfortable, but once you're used to them they're quite good. I wear mine all day at work.

Ben
MS-Pro, DT880, DT531, DT250, MS-1, A31s
Behringer UCA202 -> Octavart O1
Nexus 4

http://benrhughes.com

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:37 am

The problem with one of the earcups cutting out is probably because of the jack. You can always buy a new plug from somewhere like Jaycar or Altronics and cut the old one off and try to solder the new one on and see if that works.

If you're looking for some new headphones, then the DT250s will fit the bill. They sound great, are fairly comfortable (although I haven't tried them on for hours at a time), and also have a detachable cable so if the cable does happen to come to grief, then you can just buy a replacement one.

But yes they will sound different to say the AD900s which are Open. The AD900s definitely are not lacking in bass but you'll get a little more from the DT250s.

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

What if... it's NOT a problem with the headphone plug? But one of the SMD "feet" on the headphone port (jack) on the amp is touching/untouching etc.?

Happened to my Sansa Clip+ (2 days old even), and I couldn't be bothered sending it back to USA to get a replacement (at my cost! :@), so I just opened that sucker up. Sure enough, I was right, headphone output jack wasn't soldered properly. I fixed it myself, and can safely say I felt like a boss after that.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 am

Both the DT250 and K242HD would be good choices :)
The AD900 are an option, but they have very similar build to the A900 so if you're a bit heavy handed on your headphones they might not be the best choice :)
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Cool Barn
Lurker

Post by Cool Barn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice so far. I don't have a soldering iron nor the ability in my skills to take cables apart, so I don't think I'd like to attempt to fix the MS1s myself. Not to mention that my K530s when connected don't seem to cut out, so I don't believe the problem is at the receiver's end.

Marcus you're the only one so far to suggest the K242HDs are still a good choice. I know you love the DT250s (and pretty much everybody else in the thread by the looks of it :D ) but was wondering how the K242HDs compare sound-wise to the DT250s. Obviously the DT250s have a nice neutral sound, but considering the 242HDs are more open, and more to the point $90 cheaper, how much inferior are they to the almighty Beyers?

I know all of this is subjective, but to somebody who has two children both with birthdays coming up in the next month plus Christmas of course, and where money is at a premium, are the DT250s that much better than the AKGs to warrant saving up that extra bit harder? Especially coming from relatively bright and 'in-your-face' phones like the MS1s, is there a chance that a phone cheaper than the DT250 is going to sound better and be just as durable?

Or should I just shut up, suck it up, and get the Beyer 'cause that's what I'll really like in the long run :D

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Ok if you don't NEED closed, I think you'd be pretty happy with the 242HD :)
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!