Comfortable Open headphones for office

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
Dynabass
Regular

Comfortable Open headphones for office

Post by Dynabass » Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Replacing a pair of dieing Koss KSC75s for use in the office. I liked them, very comfortable and sound fine but feeling its time to try out something better/different.

Here's what I'd like:
Open with little isolation so I can hear around me (phone, people talking to me)
Comfortable (the ksc75 sit nicely on the ears without pressure can wear them for hours n hours).
Good bass – I’m a bass player and my attention naturally wants to tends that way.
Good at low volume and easily driven by ipod.
A step up in quality, happy to spend some more (around $200ish), also use vsonics so that’s kinda my bassline knowledge of ‘quality’

Any suggestions?

GougMan
Enthusiast

Re: Comfortable Open headphones for office

Post by GougMan » Thu May 10, 2012 2:03 pm

I would have a look at the AKG K540. Seems to fit pretty well with what you're after.

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:04 pm

All I could think of that sounds similar to the KSC75 in that price range was Alessandro MS-1, but you said comfy, so I was thinking AD700.

... Then you mentioned bass and that just made me think "OK, MS-1 for sure" :P

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm

MS-1, K520/540, Atrio M5?
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Dynabass
Regular

Post by Dynabass » Thu May 10, 2012 6:29 pm

The K540 seem like the most obvious candidate, although they're circumaural phones which tbh bug me a bit (large and indescrete). How's the bass and treble with these, I'd like a powerful bass to pick out the bassist and can't handle harsh treble, really seems to hurt my poor sensitive ears.

Don't think the MS-1 will be for me, from what I've read comfort is an issue and they can be harsh.. apparently.

btw - would consider paying more for the right unit.

Drubbing
Lost Cause

Post by Drubbing » Thu May 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Dynabass wrote: Don't think the MS-1 will be for me, from what I've read comfort is an issue and they can be harsh.. apparently.

I don't think they are. Comfort is as subjective as sound preference is. But the MS1 are bright and clear, so you might prefer closed instead.
These aren't the memes you're looking for

grevillea
grev

Post by grevillea » Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Unless you are in your own office, a rarity these days, surely a pair of IEMs is a better choice ?
ATH-ESW9 | ATH-AD900 | RE262 and assorted other crap
Coming soon : http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-headp ... ifier.html

mallethead
Enthusiast

Post by mallethead » Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Dynabass wrote: Don't think the MS-1 will be for me, from what I've read comfort is an issue and they can be harsh.. apparently.

I had the KSC75's then went up to the MS1's.
I wear them all day at work- still hear everything I need to- they don't get warm like a circumaural- you just have to spend a bit of time bending them to the shape and pressure you need.
I use the Sennheiser pads ( not reversed) with the middle cut out - reduces the foam contact and lowers the phone a closer to the ear- bumps the bass and drops the treble.

My suggestion: Don't go on what other's say - have a listen. I wouldn't pair a bright dac/amp combo with them but no way they are 'harsh' IMO.

bioxeed
Shpongled

Post by bioxeed » Fri May 11, 2012 8:52 am

mallethead wrote:I had the KSC75's then went up to the MS1's.
I wear them all day at work- still hear everything I need to- they don't get warm like a circumaural- you just have to spend a bit of time bending them to the shape and pressure you need.
I use the Sennheiser pads ( not reversed) with the middle cut out - reduces the foam contact and lowers the phone a closer to the ear- bumps the bass and drops the treble.

My suggestion: Don't go on what other's say - have a listen. I wouldn't pair a bright dac/amp combo with them but no way they are 'harsh' IMO.
I second this. I went from KSC-35's (the model the 75 replaced) to MS-1's are loved the shit out of the MS-1's. Definitely worth trying out and seeing if you enjoy them first.

G-rig
g-rev

Post by G-rig » Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am

MS-1's are perfect for the office, I don't see how comfort could be an issue. Most offices have a/c (so your ears don't get hot) and you can bend the headband to make them a light fit.
Sources: Foobar/FLAC, DACMagic
Amps: Matrix M-Stage, Corda 2Move
Headphones: DT250, Sennheiser HD25-II, MS-1
Yamaha HS80M

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Just keep in mind though that if you're in a quiet office environment, people near you may be able to hear your music especially if you turn up the volume to block some of the external noise.

Saying that, yes the MS-1s are great but will leak some sound out. The AKG K520/540 are semi-open so I believe leak less than fully open headphones but you can still hear some of the noise around you.

mallethead
Enthusiast

Post by mallethead » Fri May 11, 2012 12:19 pm

GougMan wrote:Just keep in mind though that if you're in a quiet office environment, people near you may be able to hear your music especially if you turn up the vol
Yes... should add I don't share an office.
If I was in a shared office space next to someone like me with MS1's on and what I listen to (Shpongle atm) I'd get pissed off

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Comfort of the MS1 may only really be a concern if you don't bother adjusting them at all :)
Headphonic

Dynabass
Regular

Post by Dynabass » Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Cool thanks for the advice all. Just bought a pair of MS-1's from here, not worried about any noise leaking, I don't listen very loud and whilst its an open plan office I'm not really close to anyone.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Nice one!
If they don't work out for whatever reason, just keep in mind they are covered by our trial period :)
Headphonic