Burnin - should you bother?

Headphones, Headsets, Earbuds, Canalphones - stuff that goes on, around or in your ears.
dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Re: Burnin - should you bother?

Post by dingostolemyipod » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 am

I remember walking into the bne qantas lounge a few years ago and jimmy was there. OK, not such a massive deal. But all the business types all suited up, pretending not to notice him, was really quite amusing. :lol:
a girl cannot tell a man when exactly he must do a thing

theeyealtering
Aficionado

Post by theeyealtering » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm

grevillea wrote:That sounds about 180 degrees away from many of the pub gigs I've seen over the years, where the only people more out of it than the punters were often the musos.
I used to play occasional pub gigs. So I can certainly vouch for that. But it could have been because we were crap... and very drunk, which didn't make us any better.
If you have noticed this notice, you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing.

Blobby
Post-a-holic

Post by Blobby » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:46 pm

goobags wrote:.......... billion hours of burnin........... I'm sure everyone has heard it before............
Groundhog day!
Sources: Corda Symphony-iPod Classic
Amps: Corda Symphony-Bottlehead OTL Crack-Corda XXS
Phones: DT880 -ESW9-Kef M500

beachgardener
Enthusiast

Post by beachgardener » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 am

Xonar STX - MS-1
Dual CS 515 - Denon PMA-495R - Keff Chorale

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:30 am

It's been proven that two headphones from different batches can sound slightly different if you listen hard enough?
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:33 am

Marcus wrote:It's been proven that two headphones from different batches can sound slightly different if you listen hard enough?
Unless you get a mirror as well :nod:

Drubbing
Lost Cause

Post by Drubbing » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 am

Marcus wrote:It's been proven that two headphones from different batches can sound slightly different if you listen hard enough?
Blind testing is fraught with inbuilt expectations of hearing something different, so no matter how scientificalogically you do it, it's going to be flawed somewhere.

Not only that, given the high level of 'accuracy' in their guessing, there was no FR measurement before and after the testing. That would have provided some objective evidence of change, otherwise you're still down to trusting subjectives (which they seem to assume they're doing the opposite), and the inbuilt assumption both phones sound completey identical from the start.
These aren't the memes you're looking for

Blobby
Post-a-holic

Post by Blobby » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am

That....and the fact that it's had 1000hrs of noise through it. Of course it's going to sound different. Brand new moving parts, fresh from the manufacturer compared to moving parts that have just had 3yrs worth of normal usage artificially applied. What do you expect? If there is any difference it's due to break down not break in. It's the equivalent of burning rubber on your back tyres and then exclaiming in amazement that your tyres are really different now. Too right they are.

beachgardener
Enthusiast

Post by beachgardener » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

i reckon if any burn in is to occur, then it should be playing various music not just one type of pink noise :nod:
Xonar STX - MS-1
Dual CS 515 - Denon PMA-495R - Keff Chorale

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Softening of the pads can also effect the sound. Bringing the headphones closer to the ears tends to change the sound a fair bit.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Blobby
Post-a-holic

Post by Blobby » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Marcus wrote:Softening of the pads can also effect the sound. Bringing the headphones closer to the ears tends to change the sound a fair bit.
Yeah right....no double blind no cigar. Where are those damn smileys when you want them.

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Post by dingostolemyipod » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Does burn in exist for headphones? Yes.
Is it a big deal? No.
a girl cannot tell a man when exactly he must do a thing

Blobby
Post-a-holic

Post by Blobby » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 pm

dingostolemyipod wrote:Does burn in exist for headphones? Yes.
Is it a big deal? No.
It also exists for speakers. I've got a set of 35yr old Mission speakers that have been burnt-in so much that all the cones have been replaced/repared twice. They're due for another set and another round of 15yr burn-in.

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am

Drubbing wrote:Blind testing is fraught with inbuilt expectations of hearing something different, so no matter how scientificalogically you do it, it's going to be flawed somewhere.
Not really. Unless you can statistically significantly pick the difference, it doesn't really matter what you *expect*. That's the whole point of DBT.

Maybe that means you need to execute a lot of tests with the same person, or maybe a smaller number of tests with multiple people.

Ben
MS-Pro, DT880, DT531, DT250, MS-1, A31s
Behringer UCA202 -> Octavart O1
Nexus 4

http://benrhughes.com

donunus
Enthusiast

Post by donunus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm

This burn in vs no burn argument just goes around in circles. The best suggestion I can give is to try it yourself and decide if it is psychological or physical :) Figuring out whether it is the former or the latter is easy once people get more experience listening to different headphones. In my own opinion, both physical burn in and phsychological exists but the psychological part gets less and less once one develops an acute sense of picking things apart.

EDIT: and the answer to the question on the original post's title... should you bother? It's all up to the person if wants to do it or not since everyone believes what they want to believe anyways :D