What's your favourite music at the moment?

Chat about whatever you like here
Marcus
I Recommend It!

What's your favourite music at the moment?

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:29 pm

I've got a few that I listen to frequently right now;

Electric Six -Señor Smoke
Hallucinogen - In Dub
Shpongle Remixes
Gorillaz -Demon Days

A strange selection I guess, I like them for different reasons though.
Señor Smoke is just such a fun album to rock out to or put me in a good mood, plus it reminds me of the concert which was fantastic.

In Dub is a great CD to have on in the background or even just to chill out to, as is the Shpongle remixes CD.

Demon Days is just a funky album - I wasn't sure I'd like it at first but it's grown on me more and more.

Production quality on all these CDs is excellent making them good choices for testing out headphones too :D
The Hallucinogen and Shpongle CDs are especially good on headphones as they have a very spacious sound.

bioxeed
Shpongled

Postby bioxeed » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:44 am

A few cd's getting a good listen atm

Talpa - The Art of Being Non
Somatic Responses - Pounded Mass
Superfluid vs. Vectrex - Project Vectrex
r_AW Essential .02

Talpa is sort of something between shpongle and IM. Smooth, melodic and quite psychedelic. Not the usual cookie cutter stuff (not that I dont mind some of that either). very cool stuff.

The somatic Responses stuff is quite noisy and harsh. Lots of overlaid industrial sounds and bleeps on top of (generally) kicking broken beats but also some trippy ambient bits.

Superfluid vs Vectrex is damn cool. Superfluid stuff uses lots of old weird samples cut and jumbled together. Anyone familiar with Amon Tobin stuff will know what I mean. But superfluid have a greater emphasis on some of the weird samples and beats than melodies I though. The Vectrex side is more electronic and I've not really paid as much attention to it as I have the superfluid side.

r_AW Essential .02 is a Hard/Hardcore techno mix cd by Peaky Pounder. Pretty straightforward 4/4 distorted stuff. Some great tracks and some ordinary ones. Good for the dancefloor as it doesnt let up but maybe not the greatest for just listening.

loki
Lurker

Postby loki » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 am

Right now, I'm listening to Katie Melua's latest album quite a lot (Piece by piece). And I recently discovered Lisa Ono. Both of them really nice to listen to after a hard day's work... Not that I work that hard anyway :).

My favorite is Jem's debut album, Finally Woken... One of the few albums where all the songs are really good :).

futopillow
Lurker

My 2 cents

Postby futopillow » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:39 am

Me, I'm having one of my Jazz flashback years - here is what is on the desk at the moment

[url=http://chaos.com/?action=view&id=668341] Anything Goes - Brad Mehldau
[/url]

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002JP41O/qid=1132014759/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-6863531-7675160?v=glance&s=music&n=507846] The Out-of-Towners [LIVE] Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock
[/url]

Dark Keys - Branford Marsalis Trio

All a bit modern jazz and trio like. Not too outrageous on the improvisations, quite listenable.

I can recommend a glass of Talisker Single malt with each of these albums. :p

Cheers, @ndrewm

Calroth
Regular

Postby Calroth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:29 pm

Ahh, I'll bite.

Currently listening to Till Eventide Now Voyager, an electronica album that I picked up on the iTunes music store. I like it because... it really magnifies the difference between my usual blurry headphones and the fancy headphones I bought from this web site :cool:

Dakiller
Lurker

Postby Dakiller » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Keane - Hopes and Fears
Evermore - Dreams
Doves - Some Cities
Chevelle - This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)

I would have added in Coldplay's latest, X&Y, but buying the album after having an mp3 version of it thinking that it had a lot of sound quality potential over the mp3 rips I was very disappointed in the quality of the mastering and the mp3's sounded far better than the CD. They applied compression to the max on that mix :puke:

Ferris
Lurker

Postby Ferris » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm

Autechre - Incunabula
Autechre - Amber
Appleseed Soundtrack (I ripped it from the DVD audiotrack and lovingly crafted it into single mp3 tracks, if anyone wants it. *allegedly. Not sure if you can actually BUY a soundtrack for it)
NIN - [With Teeth]

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:44 pm

Incunabula is definitely my favourite Autechre album. I'm not a big fan of their recent "haha, let's see if people will buy THIS" releases.

Interesting that Coldplay's latest album is of such poor production quality, Dakiller, I would have expected more of them, but at the same time it seems that the more commercial a band gets the more their CD producers aim for maximum volume/minimum dynamic range :(

Unfortunately I've been on a music diet the past week or two, I'm waiting for a new CD player to arrive at work and my home setup is being "renovated" :(

The D
Regular

Postby The D » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Marcus wrote:Interesting that Coldplay's latest album is of such poor production quality, Dakiller, I would have expected more of them, but at the same time it seems that the more commercial a band gets the more their CD producers aim for maximum volume/minimum dynamic range :(

X&Y has the worse mastering I have ever heard, I was going to buy it but after hearing one of the songs I just could not waste money on such a crap sounding album.

Back OT

I am currently listening to The Unforgettable Fire by U2

Robot Access
Lurker

Postby Robot Access » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:19 pm

Marcus wrote:Incunabula is definitely my favourite Autechre album. I'm not a big fan of their recent "haha, let's see if people will buy THIS" releases.

You have to listen to the notes they're NOT playing! :unibrow:
Zole`.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 pm

Robot Access wrote:
Marcus wrote:Incunabula is definitely my favourite Autechre album. I'm not a big fan of their recent "haha, let's see if people will buy THIS" releases.

You have to listen to the notes they're NOT playing! :unibrow:

lol, don't start

ps: :unibrow:

PrawnStar
Regular

Postby PrawnStar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:40 am

Shpongle - Are you shpongled?
Karnivool - Themata
Astral Projection - (bits and pieces)

sorry I have to give these guys a plug they are just awesome, so for those of you that like 'A Perfect Circle' have a listen to Karnivool! They are a Perth based band and they absolutely rock!

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am

I picked up the latest Darkness album "one way ticket to hell... and back" and I'm loving it :)
Great album, highly recommended.

Boschy
Lurker

Postby Boschy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:47 am

Hey, some Autechre fans! Kewl.

I second the laments about X&Y and its crappy sound. On speakers when you're out of the room it's no big problem, but on headphones it's just horrible. I don't mind the songs. However, it has way too much high-pitched girly singing for my taste. That is why I much prefer A Rush of Blood... to the first and now third albums.

Currently I have the Ministry of Sound 2006 Annual and some death metal by Aborted playing regularly.

i love reel big fish
Lurker

Postby i love reel big fish » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Reel Big Fish - Cheer Up!
and pretty much any other RBF album (I have 'em all). Fairly obvious when you look at my name ;) . RBF is a ska/punk
band and are great fun to listen to.
i also like the classic
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite For Destrucion
this just never gets old. :)

Return to “General chitchat”