Free FLAC ripping programs

Chat about whatever you like here
GougMan
Enthusiast

Free FLAC ripping programs

Post by GougMan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Does anyone have and recommend a free ripping program for windows for FLAC format.

Have very briefly started trying out mediamonkey and seems pretty good but not sure about the different settings for FLAC (it goes to 8 where 8 is the highest compression that takes the longest time). The difference between say 6 and 8 doesn't seem to be that much at all (and the file sizes are almost identical). I also can't get the song titles when ripping a cd without the artist name included but I think I need to have more of a play with it.

Any help will be great.

strapnut
Lurker

Re: Free FLAC ripping programs

Post by strapnut » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:22 pm

I use EAC. It can be found here.
There is a guide on how to set it up available here as well.

Haven't ever used anything else so couldn't tell you how it compares to mediamonkey for example.
ATH-AD900 : ESW9 : MS-PRO

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Post by dingostolemyipod » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 pm

GougMan wrote:Does anyone have and recommend a free ripping program for windows for FLAC format.

Have very briefly started trying out mediamonkey and seems pretty good but not sure about the different settings for FLAC (it goes to 8 where 8 is the highest compression that takes the longest time). The difference between say 6 and 8 doesn't seem to be that much at all (and the file sizes are almost identical). I also can't get the song titles when ripping a cd without the artist name included but I think I need to have more of a play with it.

Any help will be great.
I use media monkey. I just use the default flac compression of 6. Its not a big deal really and shouldn't affect SQ.

From the filepath configure menu, use the [>>] button to select any combination of properties you wish to make the filename out of (rather than a preset from the dropdown box).
Personally I use the one you can see there, feel free to copy and paste that in if you really want ;)
<Track#> - <Title>
Last edited by dingostolemyipod on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
a girl cannot tell a man when exactly he must do a thing

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 am

+1 to EAC.

You have NO idea how many settings there are to rip a bloody CD to FLAC properly and securely until you go through the setup guide posted above LOL
GougMan wrote:I also can't get the song titles when ripping a cd without the artist name included but I think I need to have more of a play with it.
This is because the actual CD itself only contains the songs in WAV format. No Metadata, nothing, only which track is track 1, which is track 2 etc.

When you rip a CD, there's some information stored like the CD's album name or the CD catalog number (or something like that), and that's about it. The ripping program then uses this information, searches it up on a database (depending on what program uses which database, some use Discogs, some MusicBrainz, some Gracenote etc.), then returns back with the album name, album artist, track name/title and whatnot along with the optional album art.

You'll know what I mean after you follow the EAC setup guide posted above. Will shave your life by about 20 minutes going through that setup though, but it's one-time only :)

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:03 am

dingostolemyipod wrote: I use media monkey. I just use the default flac compression of 6. Its not a big deal really and shouldn't affect SQ.
Yup, compression level shouldn't affect sound quality at all. Just takes a bit more time to compress the file size even smaller :)

Belial
Devotee

Post by Belial » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 am

I use EAC for FLAC, then foobar + lame for FLAC => mp3.

Ben
MS-Pro, DT880, DT531, DT250, MS-1, A31s
Behringer UCA202 -> Octavart O1
Nexus 4

http://benrhughes.com

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I knew I came to the right place for help !
I downloaded EAC and tried to set it up using the setup guide and it amost did my head in ...
I'll play around a little more with MediaMonkey and see if I can get the artist name removed from the actual song title - I'm sure there's an option or preference somewhere to do that but haven't found it yet :)

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Post by dingostolemyipod » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:43 am

GougMan wrote:I'll play around a little more with MediaMonkey and see if I can get the artist name removed from the actual song title - I'm sure there's an option or preference somewhere to do that but haven't found it yet :)
Didn't i already answer that above? :confused:
Or maybe its changed in the latest version of mm. The mediamonkey forums are pretty useful, a quick search and you might find what you're looking for.

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:55 pm

dingostolemyipod wrote:
GougMan wrote:I'll play around a little more with MediaMonkey and see if I can get the artist name removed from the actual song title - I'm sure there's an option or preference somewhere to do that but haven't found it yet :)
Didn't i already answer that above? :confused:
Or maybe its changed in the latest version of mm. The mediamonkey forums are pretty useful, a quick search and you might find what you're looking for.
I did try exactly what you suggested but that didn't make any difference. The song titles also display the artist name when they are all listed in the main window. I'll check out the forums.

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Post by kelvinyap9 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:17 pm

GougMan wrote:The song titles also display the artist name when they are all listed in the main window. I'll check out the forums.
Browse to where the music file is, right click, properties, re-tag properly, apply, OK.

^ Try that :P

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Post by dingostolemyipod » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, Kelvin's probably right, the tag might be crap.
MM just gets the tags from freedb so they can be unusual at times, based on whatever some random has uploaded.

Or, if you're talking about the library layout, i think you need to right click on the particular object, and then edit the way it displays or something like that.

If you dont have any luck on the forums, take a screenshot of what exactly you're talking about, and post it here and i'll have a look when i get home.

mrfloopy
Enthusiast

Post by mrfloopy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:23 pm

kelvinyap9 wrote:This is because the actual CD itself only contains the songs in WAV format.
Well, not actually WAV format, but not dissimilar. See the Wikipedia article – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(CD_standard).
kelvinyap9 wrote:No Metadata, nothing, only which track is track 1, which is track 2 etc.
Unless it's a CD-Text audio CD. An audio CD does contain a Table of Contents, which 'points' to the start of each track.
kelvinyap9 wrote:When you rip a CD, there's some information stored like the CD's album name or the CD catalog number (or something like that), and that's about it. The ripping program then uses this information, searches it up on a database (depending on what program uses which database, some use Discogs, some MusicBrainz, some Gracenote etc.), then returns back with the album name, album artist, track name/title and whatnot along with the optional album art.
The ripping program calculates an ID number from the CD's TOC or some other data that's (hopefully) unique to the CD.

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 am

dingostolemyipod wrote:Yeah, Kelvin's probably right, the tag might be crap.
MM just gets the tags from freedb so they can be unusual at times, based on whatever some random has uploaded.

Or, if you're talking about the library layout, i think you need to right click on the particular object, and then edit the way it displays or something like that.

If you dont have any luck on the forums, take a screenshot of what exactly you're talking about, and post it here and i'll have a look when i get home.
OK - after a bit more playing around, I found the culprit. The FreeDB tags were slightly crap for a particular CD I was trying to rip and when I tried a couple of other CDs, it seemed to bring up the track titles fine.

I would've thought that someone would be able to get the tracks right for my "World's Best Polka / Piano Accordion Medleys" CD :D

GougMan
Enthusiast

Post by GougMan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm on a roll and I've ripped a few CDs so far and all seems OK.

One question though - my initial reaction was "don't do it" but it got me thinking. Has anyone tried to normalise the volume of all their FLAC tracks. I've done it with MP3s before but I read somewhere that you can do it with a thing called ReplayGain (which doesn't alter the audio file itself but plays around with tags).

dingostolemyipod
Post-a-holic

Post by dingostolemyipod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I personally dont bother, but you can rip your tracks with the replay gain tag if you like - then when it comes to playback choose whether or not to use it.
But even if you choose to rip without applying replay gain info in the tag, there's nothing to stop you adding it at a later stage, as its just tag information.