LSK IS RISEN FROM THE DEAAAAAD

Chat about whatever you like here
Sqveak
Regular

Re: LSK IS ALIVEEEEEEEE

Postby Sqveak » Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am

So, who is this Mikhail then?

My google-fu is lacking...

A joke of some sort, or serious business?
Music: last.fm
Sources: Xonar D2X, Xonar Essence STX, ODAC.
Amplifiers: Asgard, M-stage, Objective2.
Headphones: AD700, AD900, HD600, K701, K7XX, L1, X1.

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 am

Oh, he's a fun guy, but very few people were left laughing.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1267718930

There are several people on Head-Fi who flogged his amps mercilessly and anointed him Jesus-with-a-soldering-iron : sadly, he wasnt so good with a spreadsheet. DiYers like to point out how little the parts cost to build a given design, but they have no idea what it costs to run a business. Clearly, Mikhail found that out the hard way.
ATH-ESW9 | ATH-AD900 | RE262 and assorted other crap
Coming soon : http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Sonett-headp ... ifier.html

BusinessEvolution
Aficionado

Postby BusinessEvolution » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

grevillea wrote:Oh, he's a fun guy, but very few people were left laughing.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1267718930

There are several people on Head-Fi who flogged his amps mercilessly and anointed him Jesus-with-a-soldering-iron : sadly, he wasnt so good with a spreadsheet. DiYers like to point out how little the parts cost to build a given design, but they have no idea what it costs to run a business. Clearly, Mikhail found that out the hard way.

Often they don't factor in all the fixed and variable costs properly, eg their own time, and cost of equipment. Also there is a tenancy to not be able to meet demand. Also when a person is doing it with all the stress of a business, they don't manage it properly and no longer enjoy it.

Common story on head-fi, diy hobbyist starts modding products for a fee, then they decide to do it as a small business. At first their products are extremely high quality, then either quality drops to meet demand or waiting times for products increase. Consumers on head-fi are used to instant gratification and also usually turn over products quite fast, which doesn't gel with waiting long periods or receiving a product with issues.

At the end of the day, Head-fi'ers rage at the person because they didn't deliver big business quality for super cheap prices. :angry:
Sources: Asus Essense STX, MA Stagedac
Amps: Talisman T-33H
Headphones: MS-PRO, ATH-A900, Audeze LCD-3
Earphones: SE535

dc
Super extra mega special!

Postby dc » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I think the story with Mikhail/singlepower is a bit more than just small business issues

We're talking charging thousands of dollars for a couple of SMPS plug packs inside a fancy enclosure held down with cable ties

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 am

But that is pretty much what many have accused high-end audio of doing for decades - nicer parts, but still exorbitant markups. dc, have you ever heard any of the early Levinson gear ? My tiny mind has trouble getting its head around the fact that the guy married the biggest on-screen nympho in TV history and still turned out 'legendary' amps. Must be some kind of marathon man, :D

BusinessEvolution
Aficionado

Postby BusinessEvolution » Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 am

dc wrote:I think the story with Mikhail/singlepower is a bit more than just small business issues

We're talking charging thousands of dollars for a couple of SMPS plug packs inside a fancy enclosure held down with cable ties

Well looking at his designs that went astray, he was going for point to point designs with clean signal paths. Though safety wasn't really taken into consideration, it would have been better to have overhead with overspec'd parts than to have components at their maximum voltage limits, they were probably safe but would probably fail early. People looked at the design and said most of it was okay, but there were some components that were chosen because of their audio quality (or headfi recommendation), rather than whether they were suitable for the design.

Its like with processors, whilst you can run them at any temp up to their t-junction or fail temp, the they are rated for 3-5 years at the recommended operating temp. Every 10oC below that temp you double the life expectancy and every 10 above you halve it. An overclocked processor operating at 90oC may fail in one year.

Felix
Headphonic

Postby Felix » Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 am

grevillea wrote:My tiny mind has trouble getting its head around the fact that the guy married the biggest on-screen nympho in TV history and still turned out 'legendary' amps. Must be some kind of marathon man, :D

AND find the time to co-author a book
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9388 6333
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Wed May 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Nice, although there doesnt seem to be much of tie-in with amp design. :D

BusinessEvolution
Aficionado

Postby BusinessEvolution » Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am

Felix wrote:
grevillea wrote:My tiny mind has trouble getting its head around the fact that the guy married the biggest on-screen nympho in TV history and still turned out 'legendary' amps. Must be some kind of marathon man, :D

AND find the time to co-author a book

One of the reviewers said the preface to the book opened by saying I am not actually a nympho"

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Thu May 10, 2012 5:01 pm

If she hadnt gotten that role, Kim Cattrall's acting career would have been put in the same shoebox with the likes of Madonna and Whitney Houston. Her early roles were dross - she was inevitably cast as some kind of sugary ditz.

Ricky Gervais summed it up best at the Oscars a couple of years back. 'You were part of the cast of Bonanza !'. Even that was much kinder than Family Guy's Brian -

'Hey, I've seen this - its that show about 3 hookers and their mom !'

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Postby kelvinyap9 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm

From speakers to hookers. You guys can do anything :P

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Fri May 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Kelvin - long time no trade witty repartee with you, old son !

Mate, Im a little distraught atm - my favourite KPOP singer isnt actually KOREAN !

Tiffany (Korean name: Hwang Mi-Young; Hangul: 황미영; Hanja: 黄美英; Born Stephanie Hwang on August 1, 1989), is an American born South Korean singer, dancer, show host, event MC, promotional model, actress and musical actress

In addition to having some major identity issues (must be a killer passport ..), Tiff fooled old folk like me with her excellent rendition of 'Poker Face' live - it would seem that there is no honour among Asian cover bands. Who knew ?

kelvinyap9
Aficionado

Postby kelvinyap9 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:39 pm

You'll be surprised at how common K-Pop artists were born in America, or grew up there.

G-Dragon and Taeyang from BIGBANG are American born and bred, I think.

grevillea
grev

Postby grevillea » Sun May 13, 2012 4:29 pm

The last time I saw Koreans on telly in the US, they were standing on top of their convenience stores with M-16s goading blacks to 'come get some' during the LA riots. This was after the cops had surrendered those neighbourhoods to the mob - buildings and cars on fire, totally surreal. When the London riots started a year or so back, I thought 'Send in the Koreans !'. Tough mother^^^^s ...

I'm guessing you werent around for that little episode, but if that generation spawned these kids you can bet they arent afraid of a little competition.

BusinessEvolution
Aficionado

Postby BusinessEvolution » Tue May 15, 2012 3:02 pm

All we have in Australia are a drunken fight on a beach or people protesting when criminals get hurt. Yet, the world headlines at the time make out that we the worst sometimes. Figures.

Race riot in UK/Europe/USA entire towns get leveled (In Russia it can get pretty bad but police bring out the tanks and it all gets quiet pretty fast), hundreds killed, death toll in Australia: 0?

Return to “General chitchat”