Fiio X5 Gen3 verses iBasso DX80

Discuss sources/headphone amplifiers here... mm saucy amps.
wild99
Lurker

Fiio X5 Gen3 verses iBasso DX80

Postby wild99 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I own both, just interested in what other people think of them?

wild99
Lurker

Re: Fiio X5 Gen3 verses iBasso DX80

Postby wild99 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Oh if you make a comment please include the Firm Ware version you bare talking about

wild99
Lurker

Postby wild99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Okay here it is, I hate the Fiio X5 Gen 3.
To me with every headphone and speaker/amp set up I own the DX80 sounds better.
I can't really pin it down to a specific thing but if i had a choice to listen to an ipod classic for 2 hrs or the Fiio, i would choose the ipod, an Ibasso wins this fight hands down.
I thought it was the headphones I owned at first so i brought different headphones but non of them could fix the sound.
If had to pick words to describe the sound I would use forced and plastic when i compare it to the DX80.
I thought it may have been just me so I grabbed the Fiio, ibasso and ipod classic and took them to a friends place and gave him a listen to the same song on all 3 through the same set of headphones at what i judged to be the same volume.
While he didn't hate the sound of the Fiio he preferred the Ibasso sound hands down of the three.
We then hooked them up to the analogue in on his Kenwood car stereo and I got him to close his eyes while I did the same play of the same song from all 3 sources and he still preferred the sound of the Ibasso.
I don't have the money to be an audiophile but I spend every spare cent I have trying to get a better sound.
When I buy something and it makes such a difference that I feel i have to listen to all the music I own again, for me that is a win.
My friend is no audiophile either but he used to sell high end audio gear for a living so I respect his opinion when he has a listen to stuff.
This is not a Fiio hate post as such ...... more a warning to all who are considering buying a DAP to have a listen if you can before you buy.
I brought the Fiio first brand new because it seemed like everything I wanted to replace my 160Gig ipod classic, and i ended up buying an I ibasso DX80 from E bay second hand at a good price because I was so disappointed in the Fiio.
I will just say that I don't use equalisers or any other modifications to the sound that comes out when i use these devices.
This is my own personal opinion and other peoples listening experiences may differ to mine.
:)

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Postby Marcus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am

I did prefer the iBasso DX50 and DX90 to Fiio equivalents in terms of performance, but I didn't like the failure rate of the iBasso players at all :(
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to

wild99
Lurker

Postby wild99 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 pm

That"s a very valid point to make Marcus as you don't see a lot of that in reviews around the web, as in retailers stating that they don't sell stuff due to the failure rate regardless of how it sounds.
One thing I didn't mention in my last post was the windows drivers that Ibasso provide.
I own an Audioengine D1 dac and while the sound is awsome for the 30 sec to 10min before the windows mixer overtakes any setting i put into it and then turns it into the same sound as on-board sound.
Audioengine say that you don't need drivers for there devices like its a good thing, well it may be on some systems but on mine this is not the case.
The windows drivers tend to pick the windows mixer even with asio drivers trying to maintain control on the DAC.
The Ibasso windows drivers hold onto the ibaso ASIO better then any driver I have ever come across on a Windows system.
You will get a pause on occasion when something tries to take over or if you run out of processor but the iBasso Thesycon driver will reclaim its hold and maintain the great sound.
So for me as a computer DAC the driver makes the Ibasso DX 80 second to none .... of the DAPS or DACS I have tried.

wild99
Lurker

Postby wild99 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

While I have you attention ... ( looks around ... only crickets, anyway) for people after a sound signature for the DX80 I would say neutral bass (if the song has bass then its comes out but if its lean, it sound lean).
Mid range is a little proud great for bringing voices out but if your chosen speaker/headphone is mid heavy then mids could be a little to hard.
Top end is neutral I would say, if the song/speaker/headphone is top end bright then it will sound the same.

wild99
Lurker

Postby wild99 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am

BusinessEvolution
Aficionado

Postby BusinessEvolution » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I found the IBasso DX80 to have exceptional audio once you get a version of the firmware thats not bugged. There also seems to be a bit of an issue with the large SD card I am using as it just randomly resets at some stages.

The DAC mode also sounds very good, if you can get it to work...

Pros:
Great sound, works well with all my IEMs.

Cons:
You have to play around with settings, firmware and drivers to get the most out of it. The third party firmware seems to work the best.
Sources: Asus Essense STX, MA Stagedac
Amps: Talisman T-33H
Headphones: MS-PRO, ATH-A900, Audeze LCD-3
Earphones: SE535

Return to “Sources & Headphone Amps”