Squeezebox touch/ hard drive music options

Discuss sources/headphone amplifiers here... mm saucy amps.
Ludwig
Enthusiast

Squeezebox touch/ hard drive music options

Post by Ludwig » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey guys its been a while since I've posted - howdy to all.

Wondering if y'all could lend some advice on digitising my cd collection.

Preliminary research points to the 'squeezebox touch' as the ideal device to manage my collection as I'm not interested in a computer based or NAS streaming set up. Basically I spend enough time on the computer at work and its just relaxing to be unshackled from it when listening to music, also I don't have wifi in my house or an ethernet port to my music room which eliminates streaming options.

With the squeezebox touch I can play music direct from a portable hard dive without being connected to a network - running into an external dac via spdif and onto my amp. I haven't got a dac yet (thinking of building a gamma2) just thinking ahead. One of the most attractive things about the touch is that it's an all in one device aside from storage. I was thinking of using a WD or seagate TV media player but then I'd need a separate monitor to navigate playlists.

I'm not aware of many other options that fit the bill so I'm all ears.

Cheers.

mallethead
Enthusiast

Re: Squeezebox touch/ hard drive music options

Post by mallethead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Ludwig

I use Squeezeboxes in bedroom and family room.
If I was starting out now though I would just get an iPad and have all the additional features as well.
Adding a Camera Connection Kit gives usb audio output to USB DAC (powered)> amp. Has benefit of portability and use of line out.
iPad app is Squeezepad
Install Squeezecenter on PC.

If you go with Squeezetouch...

1.Cheapest option but a little trickier: buy a wireless router and attach to your modem. Set up wireless network that your Squeezetouch will connect into.
Install squeezecenter on your PC and set squeezetouch as player.

2.A little bit more expensive but easier (and more convenient than having to sync your music collection across to external hard drive)

Buy 2 powerline ethernet adapters( for the price of a reasonably large external hard drive)
Uses home electrical system for data transmission.
Create an ethernet port anywhere you have a powerpoint close by.
I've had up to 4 devices connected at one time without any problem- laptop, laptop, squeezebox, squeezebox.
Set up would be:
Modem> Cat5 cable>powerline adapter>powerpoint ( not a powerboard!) >powerpoint in music room>powerline adapter> Cat5 cable> squeezetouch

Install squeezecenter on your PC and set squeezetouch as player.
Stream everything off your PC hard drive (as your music folder)- no need for external hard drive that has to be sync'd with PC.

Good luck.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:39 pm

The Cambridge NP30 works with USB storage, has on-unit controls as well as phone remote functionality :)
It also has digital out for an external DAC.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Ludwig
Enthusiast

Post by Ludwig » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for the details on the squeezebox mallethead, although I'm starting to lean towards a network player like the np30 or similar options form marantz, denon...

I could also use a ipod with a dock but neither of those are particularly cheap options plus I'd be more concerned about noise pollution on the digital signal.

The downside to the np30 and the like is file navigation - some players have OLED screens which are a little better than basic lcd. But the upsides are quality electronic parts and power conditioning to keep noise to a minimum.

I'll have the build the dac first anyway, and go from there.

Marcus, have you ever tried plugging a portable hard-drive to the np-30? I'm wondering what kind of processing power these players have, I know the squeezebox touch has issues with larger hard-drives.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I only use the front navigation if my phone isn't handy - phone navigation tends to be faster and easier :)

I've tried a few different USB sticks and one customer tried a USB HDD from our demo unit but I didn't check the capacity - it worked as quickly as I would have liked really.

I can probably plug my 1TB USB drive in and see how it handles it some time next week :)
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Ludwig
Enthusiast

Post by Ludwig » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Here's an interesting new product from 'Olive', its basically a tablet that has a decent DAC and digital/analog out with inbuilt storage up to 2.5TB. Asking price is attractive as well.

http://www.myoliveone.com/Ones/all_in_one

They're a small company out of the US that make a couple of other streaming devices. This one is still in pre-order/design phase and probably wont hit our shores for another year or so.