Selling ST which USB dac/amp?

Discuss sources/headphone amplifiers here... mm saucy amps.
Muppet
Lurker

Selling ST which USB dac/amp?

Post by Muppet » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Due to space limitations within my case i'm looking to sell my asus xonar ST and grab an external device of some sorts. I don't really know anything about sources or amps but I love my ST and something that is the same level of quality and amplification is required. I'm looking to spend around 200-275aud.

My headphones are a set of ATH AD-900X and I use them from time to time as makeshift speakers, the 600ohm amp profile on the xonar is ideal for this which is why the external device will need to be of similar amplification. However I am willing to spring for a set of speakers if there is an awesome dac within my budget that lacks the amplification.

thanks.

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Re: Selling ST which USB dac/amp?

Post by Marcus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Nothing external for that kind of budget is going to sound anywhere near as good as the ST. I'd recommend a minimum of the Mayflower O2OAC.
You shouldn't really be using headphones as speakers, it's a great way to damage the drivers :(
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!

Muppet
Lurker

Post by Muppet » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:35 pm

So I purchased a new pc monitor that has speakers, so that solved the issue of needing large amounts of volume for watching movies/tv.

I am also looking at doing a full system build to the X99A platform, how is the audio on those boards ie the Audioboost 3 with nahimic or the crystal audio 3 etc.

Are they decent or should I really be budgeting for an external dac in the ~$600 category?

Marcus
I Recommend It!

Post by Marcus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:04 am

That's up to you :)
If you're listening to a lot of music from your PC, sure! Just remember a $600 DAC might not have a headphone stage in it, so you'll need to account for that as well.
Your bottleneck will likely then shift to the headphones.
Headphonic
http://www.headphones.com.au
Ph: (08) 9207 3666
Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!