After some research and deliberation, I finally bought a new PVR just over 3 weeks ago. I ended up getting one of these :http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/products ... 00t1tb.asp
Overall, impressions so far are very positive.
- Very shiny black front panel
- Brilliant picture quality. I’ve got it set to 1080p and the picture is so much better than my old Toshiba HD STB
- Incredibly easy to set up and use. The menus and layout are great and easy to set up recordings, etc… The overall UI is very Apple-ish (which is a good thing).
- Recording quality is also impressive. There’s very little difference between the recorded picture and the original picture.
- Very good EPG which is also pretty accurate. Most shows are within about a minute of the advertised EPG times (e.g. the EPG would show something like 20:34 – 21:37 instead of the normal 20:30 – 21:30 that other TV guides show)
- Recording flexibility. The recording can be padded with extra time at beginning and end of the shows (up to 20 minutes). It also allows series recording if a show is on say every day.
- Very good quality when playing back videos/movies from USB external drive
- Has not missed a recording that I’ve programmed so far
- Skip function that goes in 30 second increments (up to 240 seconds) with a single button press
- 2 year warranty. Most other brands that I’ve seen have 1 year
- Decent remote control
- Sometimes, the EPG won’t display all shows on all channels. I either have to exit the guide (and re-select the guide) or select the channel that’s not showing and then it seems to refresh the list. This doesn’t happen all the time so not really a huge issue.
- Have had a couple of error messages like “Recording could not be completed because of no signal” (or something like that) when trying to play a recorded show but the file still seems to play OK.
- Turns itself off sometimes. This is not actually a negative because a couple of days ago, I realized that there’s an “Automatic Power Down” option on the unit that by default was set to “On” - so I turned it off
I haven’t subscribed to iceTV so can’t comment on that.
If you are looking for a PVR, I would definitely put this on the short list.